Regimental War Memorial Cross
At the top of Frenchgate in Richmond, North Yorkshire. It was dedicated on 13 July 1921.
The Bell Memorial, France
The Bell Memorial was dedicated in 2000 as a tribute to the bravery of Second Lieutenant Donald Simpson Bell VC and the men of his Battalion who gave their lives fighting in and around Contalmaison during the battle of the Somme 1916.
In 2006 a train stop on a Normandy beach, mistaken for a German pillbox on D Day, was unveiled as a memorial to Company Sergeant Major Stanley Hollis VC and the men of the Green Howards.
Aerial photographs taken before the landings showed what looked like a small German fortification at La Rivière, adjacent to Gold Beach. CSM Hollis later recalled: “As we were coming in I lifted a stripped Lewis gun off the floor of the landing craft and pelted a pillbox with a full pan of ammunition”. Only on advancing over the beach did the men discover that it was ‘only a bloody tram-stop’.
During the fighting on D Day, CSM Hollis won the only Victoria Cross to be awarded that day.
He gained it for two actions of supreme valour, firstly for clearing a pillbox and trenches north of Ver-sur-Mer, and secondly for rescuing his comrades under fire in the village of Crépon.
In the UK, a new memorial was unveiled on 26 November 2015 in Hollis’ hometown.
It also honours Green Howards soldiers who took part in the D Day invasion of France, and all Victoria Cross recipients from the regiment.
The Crépon Memorial, France
On the 26th October 1996 His Majesty Harold V, King of Norway unveiled a new memorial to commemorate the Regiment’s role in the Second World War and the 6th and 7th Battalion’s Normandy Campaign in particular.
The Mayor and the people of Crépon kindly provided a superb site.
The sculptor, James Butler RA, created the weary figure of a soldier of the 6th or 7th Battalion, who, by D-Day, had served at Dunkirk, in the Western Desert and Sicily.