It was during the Wars of the Austrian Succession, that the Regiment first became known as ‘The Green Howards’. Their Colonel was the Honourable Charles Howard, and, as regiments took their names from their Colonel, it was known as ‘Howard’s Regiment’. However, in the same campaign there was another regiment whose Colonel was called Howard. Charles Howard’s men wore green facings on their uniforms so they became ‘The Green Howards’, a nickname which stuck until 1920 when it became the official title of the regiment. The other regiment became known as ‘The Buff Howards’.
Announcement Date: April 15, 1744