- Military Cross
- NATO Service Medal (Kosovo clasp and ribbon)
- General Service Medal 1962-2007 (Northern Ireland clasp)
- Operational Service Medal 2000 (Afghanistan clasp and ribbon)
- Diamond Jubilee Medal 2012
- Accumulated Campaign Service Medal 2011
- Long Service and Good Conduct Medal
Matthew Cockburn was awarded the Military Cross for his action during an attack on an enemy position in Afghanistan. The medal has been on loan to the museum since 2010.
On 27th November 2008 Sergeant Cockburn and his patrol attacked a group of Taliban fighters who were concealed in a trench. Moving across largely open ground he and his patrol were fired on. Undeterred, they continued to manoeuvre forward towards the enemy.
When they were about 30 meters from the trench they were fired upon from a previously unseen position. Cockburn ordered three men to suppress the position whilst he continued toward the main trench, which he reached, capturing an enemy fighter.