Arthur Green

Medals awarded

  • India General Service Medal, with Kachin Hills clasp
  • India Medal 1895-1902, with Punjab Frontier and Tirah clasps
  • 1914-1915 star
  • War Medal 1914-1920
  • Victory Medal 1914-1919
  • Long Service and Good Conduct Medal

Arthur Thomas Green was born in Crondall, Hampshire, in about 1871; the son of Henry and Rachel Green. He joined the army in 1887 in Aldershot. His record states he was at that time 5 feet 3 inches tall, and weighed 100 pounds, an above average weight for the time.

Green was promoted to Sergeant in 1897 and Colour Sergeant in 1900. In his medal group he has some of the more unusual clasps awarded to soldiers who served in India, namely Kachin Hills 1892-3 on the India General Service Medal (Kachin is now in modern day Myanmar) and a Punjab Frontier 1897-8 clasp as well as the Tirah Clasp on the India Medal. Tirah was the largest punitive expedition undertaken by the British Army in India.

The image below shows Arthur’s foreign service helmet (other ranks), made of cork by Hawkes & Co in London, which he would have worn whilst serving in India.

In 1902 Arthur married Anne Frankling at Malton. He left the army in 1908 to become a school attendance officer; by then he had grown to the height of 6 feet tall.

On the outbreak of the First World War he joined the the 3rd Battalion, signing up on 24th August 1914. By the time the regiment was sent to Gallipoli, he’d been promoted to Company Sergeant Major (CSM) of B Company in the 6th Battalion. Arthur Green was present at the Battle of Sulva Bay in which the 6th Battalion took very heavy casualties; 80 men killed and 313 wounded. He was wounded at the Battle of Ismail Oglu Tepe; he and about 100 men succeeded in taking a Turkish trench. However, without further orders, or reinforcements they had to pull back the following day.

With the failure of the Gallipoli Campaign, the 6th Battalion was moved to France in July 1916.

In December 1916 Arthur was transferred to the Depot suffering from trench fever and shell shock. He served there until his demobilisation in April 1919. He lived in Easingwold and died, aged 76 in 1947.