Understanding the experiences of an infantry soldier during the First World War
• Use original artefacts to learn what life was like as a soldier in the First World War
Resources involved: the museum’s handling collection, accounts of soldiers on active service, trench systems, sources revealing friendship and adventure, service and sacrifice, reactions to returning to a ‘land fit for heroes’.
• Develop an ability to accurately describe conditions on the Western Front
• Learn to interrogate historical sources to maximise their learning
• Use their ability to link apparently disparate sources to construct a narrative
• Interpret objects to better understand the past