Exploring different reactions to war as shown through poetry, novels and journalism.
• Read historical and modern passages from literature to consider how they represent the experience of war
• Learn about the historical context in which these words were recorded
• Compare and explain differing representations
• Evaluate the motivations of authors when they write
Resources involved: The poetry, journalism and novels inspired by conflict. Reportage – war diaries versus the press, censorship, lesser known war poets, such as our own Purvis and Read.
• An appreciation of the difference between personal records, reportage, and propaganda
• An understanding of why different aspects of war might be emphasised by different authors
• An ability to begin to judge the reliability of sources and to appreciate that less reliable writing can still have value